24-year-old female patient had a routine annual mammogram and no follow up
3 weeks later she received a letter from the clinic where the x-rays were done asking her why she had not returned for more test. She asked why she needed more “tests” and they gave her a vague answer. She scheduled another visit to have “more tests”. She arrived for her appointment, and the tests were cancelled that day because of equipment malfunction. A week later she was once again scheduled for more tests. She was very frustrated. 3 hours later after having more mammograms with different views she was given some confusing information. At 6PM that night she was told she had a cyst, and that she should come back in 6 months for another breast ultra sound. At 8:30 PM she received a call from the Doctor telling her that she needed to have someone follow up with the cyst diagnosis. At 8:30 AM the next morning she received another call from the office assistant saying that she needed to see a surgeon.
- Accompanied the patient for her mammogram and surgical consult per her request.
- Helped her arrange for a second radiology opinion and a biopsy
- Assisted in coordinating her medical care team and creating a treatment plan
93-year-old female sustained a non-traumatic femur fracture
- Arrived at the ER and looked at medical records of the patient’s assessment
- Stayed with the patient in the ER until the patient was admitted
- Stayed at the bedside in the hospital until the patient went to surgery and was there post op
- Coordinated a plan of care with the hospital staff.
- Revised the plan when the patient had a cardiac event and could not have the surgery, but remained on the ventilator
- Worked with the Bioethics team for end of life and palliative care
48-year-old male, diagnosed 2 years ago with Hepatitis C
He had been waiting for the newest treatment regime. The doctor has given him the prescription with all the potential side-effects, and now the patient is concerned about starting treatment. His question was: “How do I know if I will be the one to have all these side-effects?”
- The answer was to give him education regarding side-effects, methods of dealing with them, and questions to ask his physician regarding the treatment, side-effects and alternatives
- He was also given web sites to explore for further information
6-year-old boy diagnosed with ADHD on medication, not improving
- Helped the Mom with his health assessment
- Coordinated getting his medical records in order
- Assisted in getting a 2nd opinion with an ADHD specialist
- Educated Mom on the treatment options discussed, supported and guided her with making a plan of care
42-year-old female was diagnosed after having biopsy with breast cancer
She was referred to us by her friend, a previous client. Never having been in a Hospital before she had no idea of what to expect.
- Helped her obtain information about her diagnosis
- Educated her on what portions of her medical records were important for her to have in her possession
- Created her treatment plan, pre-op, surgery, and post-op
- Help her coordinate her team of medical professionals that would be involved in her care
- Met with her in the hospital before surgery, stayed with her family during surgery
- Monitored her post-operative care
33-year-old new mother is critically ill following a hemorrhage after birth.
She is in the ICU and desperately wants to see her baby in case she dies. But the hospital does not allow infants into the ICU and the mother can't be moved.
- Called the hospital on the family’s behalf and spoke to the Manager of Obstetrics and the Manager of the ICU. They agreed that there were extenuating circumstances and agreed to allow the baby to visit “Mom” in the ICU under the supervision of the patient’s husband
- Met with family in the hospital and reviewed the medical records from the delivery; explained to them what was documented by the doctors and or midwives and nurses
- When patient was stable coordinated a family meeting with the Obstetrician and social worker to discuss plan of care in hospital and after discharge home
- Helped patient get settled at home with baby and support system